back to Employing a Youth Worker
Thinking about employing a youth or children’s worker? Fantastic! This resource provides some important direction as your parish begins the employment process.
- Contact the PYM of KF team to discuss your options for employing a youth or children’s worker. We have loads of experience in this area and can save you hours of time.
- Explore your parish’s needs
- Why do you want a youth or children’s worker?
- Define the parishes vision
- Set core values
- Define the specific mission that this new position centres around
- Set goals for this new ministry initiative
- Determine the target audience
(see Kids Friendly guide for more guided and detailed exploration. Note although written by Kids Friendly it can be equally applied to youth ministry.)
- Create the position
- Use the Youth Worker Job Description Template as a starting point
- Let PYM/KF help you write your JD
- Assess the parishes financial capacity to employ a youth or children’s worker. We strongly suggest that you consider paying more for a more experienced person.
- Use the Recommended PYM pay scale
- Ensure there is budget for Professional Development, mobile phone, computer, programs etc
- Explore external funding sources if necessary http://pym.org.nz/resources/funding/
- Create an employment contract. To do this we strongly recommend that you contact the PCANZ HR consultant Margaret Fawcett (Ph 043818291). She is our resident expert on employment-related issues. She is very keen to help any parish which is looking to employ a children’s or youth worker in drafting an employment contract.