Communicating regularly with parents is vital. Parents can be great advocates for your ministry in the church and in the wider community when they are on board. Here are some recommendations from our Engaging with Parents Policy:
- Create a brochure/Facebook page or website that clearly communicates:
- The aims and values of your youth ministry
- How parents can get in touch with you
- Information on specific dates and times venues and activities that are on offer (see example)
- Contact parents whenever you are doing something new outside of the normal interaction that you have with them.
- If you drop off or pick up a student from their home take 2 or 3 minutes to check in with the parents.
- When young people are being picked up or dropped off at your venue ensure you have some key leaders in the car park who will introduce themselves to parents and give any helpful information necessary.
- Try and keep in contact with parents with a phone call at least once a term.