Going Global is also a formation learning experience. We have developed six teaching modules about mission, including the theology of mission, mission as partnership, development, community building and cross cultural awareness.
Each session includes a video, a reading and a set of questions. Below you will see the videos, If your church is planning a short term mission trip and would like to use this training. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will mail you the Going Global participant journals and the readings.
Understanding Mission as God’s Initiative
- To meet your team members and get to know a little about them
- To have a broad understanding of the concept of mission as God’s initiative
- To understand the influence of culture on faith and Christian practice
Mission as Partnership
- To know how the concept of partnership applies in a mission context
- To be able to explain why mutuality in mission partnership is important
- To understand the importance of long-term sustainable mission relationships
Introduction to development
- To have an understanding of development and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
- To distinguish between sustainable mission partnership and dependency
- To be able to discuss the significance that the idea of dignity has for mission
Cross Cultural Awareness
- To understand the environment you are going into and be able to operate appropriately without judgement
- To be aware of how personal boundaries can be challenged
- To learn how gender constructs can impact differently in different cultural contexts
Knowing the Community
- To have a solid understanding of community, what it means to work in community and to understand community dynamics.
- To be able to work with your group and build a supportive community.
- To understand the importance of your own communities and the role these play in your mission experience.
- To explore what it means to be part of a community even when this becomes difficult.
Life after the Mission Experience
- To reflect on and critique the mission experience and the place of God in what you have observed and done
- To debrief the mission experience and plan how you can share this with others back home and what you are going to take with you from your time here
[No video for this session]